In learning and decision making you have a history of experiences you rely on that create your understanding of the world, we call this knowledge. If you actually take a moment and reflect on what infinite possibilities exist regarding knowing then you realize that your “knowledge” probably accounts for > 0.1% of all there is to know right now. So the first step to understanding and knowing is to let go of the concept that you already know. The Greek philosopher Socrates stated that all wisdom begins with wondering, therefore you must begin with admitting your ignorance.
“… I am wiser than this man, for neither of us appears to know anything great and good; but he fancies he knows something, although he knows nothing; whereas I, as I do not know anything, so I do not fancy I do. In this trifling particular, then, I appear to be wiser than he, because I do not fancy I know what I do not know.”
Understanding that you don’t know opens you to new information and puts you in a place of power. It can improve your choices in life, because it’s an honest view of your knowledge and capabilities, as well as your ignorance and limitations.
So how do you let go and open up to the infinite possibilities around you? You can begin by getting curious.
- Question your assumptions
- Where did this belief come from
- What evidence is there to support this belief
- What evidence would help support this belief being false
- Learn from experiments
- Has anything changed since this belief was created
- If I look at this from another’s perspective is this still true (what would someone else say)
- If I looked at this from afar is this still true (are there alternative that may be just as valid)
- If I held a different belief, what might happen
- Change your mind
- What’s one thing I don’t know that would be really useful in this situation
- Does this belief conflict with any other beliefs I hold
- If I did something differently, what would be the result
Challenging your beliefs uncovers their root and helps you open up to gaining different perspectives and increases your ability to respond to changes in your world. Be your own watch dog and monitor why you respond the way you do, why you make the decisions you make and why do you have the results you have. When you keep an open mind about your beliefs and the possibility that you don’t have all the facts you see the possibility of alternatives and expand your options in everything you do.
Kraft Bravery and Your Business helps you transform your career and your life. Contact me today for more support in getting more out of your life right now. I am simply here as a resource for you, to empower you to become as focused and clear on your goals as possible. Now is the time to make an empowered decision and schedule your coaching sessions today. There is so much that we can accomplish when we’re together.