Follow your dream! Follow your purpose! Take a leap of faith and go for it!
If you’re anything like me, sometimes all this noise about purpose can be annoying.
For some, these statements make you want to hide. You may not even know what this all means. For others, this is a constant reminder of what you don’t have in your life, and you feel left out of the crowd. For many, you are quietly wondering, “what is wrong with me?” “I don’t think I have a purpose?” “Where is this thing called purpose found anyway?”
You’re going through life achieving goals you have set, but don’t know what this burning desire you hear people talk about is anyway. Maybe you have goals you believe you should be going after, but they hold no burning drive for you. Maybe you have an idea of what your purpose is, but your day to day living causes you to put your dreams on hold.
Let’s take a look at the people you know who are driven by their purpose. You will notice they probably have strong core beliefs and values supporting their dreams and make conscious choices based on these goals. You may realize that they live passionately, out loud, and all in. It could be that you see them following a dream, focused on their outcome, no matter what.
Finding purpose in life is not for a chosen few. This is available to you. First, you need to want it enough to look for it. Then, if you are wondering how to find your purpose, you need to be willing to do the work.
Here are a few exercises intended to uncover that little voice whispering in your ear and peek into the desire hiding from you today.
No Pain No Gain
When you know what you don’t want, then you also know what you do want. What is it that creates resistance in your life?
- There’s a social injustice you have witnessed you can’t live with
- Those things that touch you, where you feel it deeply in your soul
- Opportunity to impact people, animals, the planet show up in your conversation regularly
Make a list, fill up page after page, and keep searching for more. Once you know these things, what positive impact can you have in creating change?
There’s Joy In Your Journey
What are the things in your life that energize you? What brings you joy and laughter?
- Your faith is a significant part of your life
- Travel is fun to you and there are limitless places and possibilities to discover and people to meet and understand
- Freedom and space where your time is open and flexible and you can use it as you please
Be honest with yourself in identifying what makes you happy. This gives you insight into what must be a part of the choices you make both personally and professionally.
Help Others, Help Yourself
Find out who you want to help. Many of us have a philanthropic desire, but don’t believe throwing money at a problem is the only solution. There are many ways to chip away at the same problem, and it’s up to you to find out who you want to help and how.
Why, Why, Why
In all cases, it is important to dig into your why. Ask yourself, at least five times, why. For example:
- Why is travel important to me?
- Because I love exploring new places
- Why is exploring new places important to me?
- Because I get to learn about different cultures and understand the history of these places
- Why is learning about cultures and history important to me?
- Because I believe knowledge like this brings understanding and peace to the world
- Why is understanding and peace in the world important to me?
- Because I believe we are all connected and should live our life in a more connected way
- Why is living in a more connected way important to me?
- Because I believe without this, we will lose the opportunity to continue living on this earth
So, you see how travel really is about the act of connecting to culture. This is the root of this desire for this person.
Take the time and find your purpose. It is not necessarily to save the world, but it will bring meaning and fulfillment to your life.
You have the power to choose how you respond each day. This is a practice of conscious choice and being present in the uniqueness of the moment. Take control, accept responsibility, and be aware that your perception, response, and results belong to you alone. You know it’s time for even more.
If not now, when?